America v Eurasia Turn 18

It appears they did the following:

K4 soldier moves to M5 (right wit space) (I cannot see this but it doesn’t appear that there is enough time in FOW for them to have built a unit and moved, therefore I believe they moved the K4 soldier)
Spawn soldier right
Boost soldier
Newly spawned soldier moves to K5
FOW action icon appears, so I believe they took some further action

How many wits unaccounted for then? We should have a pretty good idea.

First, a reminder:

Discuss our move.

We believe that they started the turn with only 7 wits. So the following wits were used:

1 wit - soldier to right wit space
4 wit - spawn soldier, buff soldier, move soldier to k5.

So that’s 2 wits unaccounted for.

It could be possible that they moved their heavy, but they have no vision and even spawning a runner doesn’t give them vision of our soldiers.

It seems like they’re building up their units on the right side, so would we want to get more units over there?

Well, how about this. If we are planning to jump in the dark to see if the heavy is still there, we will be needing to recall a soldier anyway, and the 2 hp runner is currently in the spot where we would want to warp the soldier. So, we could move the runner to D7, or perhaps to the left wit space, and get vision of the heavy. If it’s there, we kill it. If not, we do something else, probably build a soldier right and sniper left.

If we’re going to move our runner first, then why not move it to D6 as was suggested in the previous thread. It’s still safe, but would give us vision of their spawn.

D6 is fine, only concern is that that hex will be difficult to defend. Suppose they advance a soldier in range, we may have to relocate the runner. [hr]
Also I am concerned about an assault on right. They now have three 4 hp soldiers ready to march down that side, plus a mobi.

This is my proposed move:

1. Leap blind to C3 with B5 soldier. (1 wit)

—post screenshot of the new information.— If the heavy is not on D3, we will have to reevaluate the move at this point. If they have spawned a unit on this side, we may have to reevaluate.

1. Assuming the heavy is there and they have spawned no units, attack the heavy with C3 soldier (1 wit)
  2. Move mobi to D7 (1 wit)
  3. Teleport C3 soldier to E7, putting the soldier “safely” in range of their 2hp runner (1 wit)
  4. Leap C6 soldier to C3 and kill the heavy (1 wit)
  5. Build new soldier on J11 (2 wits)

End turn, banking 1 wit.

Gavin’s first move is good with me

— Begin quote from ‘lawtai’ pid=‘51546’ dateline=‘1370036395’

Gavin’s first move is good with me

— End quote

Agreed.

They spawned a runner on left. So, perhaps they banked 1 wit? It is possible they moved the mobi, but I doubt it.

Yea, most likely 1 wit banked. I say we finish off their heavy then. The rest of Gavin’s move is good with me.

— Begin quote from ____

1. Assuming the heavy is there and they have spawned no units, attack the heavy with C3 soldier (1 wit)
  2. Move mobi to D7 (1 wit)
  3. Teleport C3 soldier to E7, putting the soldier “safely” in range of their 2hp runner (1 wit)
  4. Leap C6 soldier to C3 and kill the heavy (1 wit)
  5. Build new soldier on J11 (2 wits)

— End quote

One thing to think about though is that our 4HP soldier is vulnerable to the same tactic.

It is worth noting that if they moved the mobi to h3 or k4, then they could snipe our d7 mobi. But, seems like a bad move for them.

I like this set up. I say we go forward with the rest of my proposed move. Would we be in a bad situation if they did the same thing to our 4hp soldier at J9?

Consider: instead of warping c3 soldier to e7, warp to d6, so he is in range to retaliate on whatever kills our other c3 soldier.[hr]

— Begin quote from ‘Gavin Wins’ pid=‘51699’ dateline=‘1370198577’

I like this set up. I say we go forward with the rest of my proposed move. Would we be in a bad situation if they did the same thing to our 4hp soldier at J9?

— End quote

The thing is by striking first we are requiring some response from them, which cuts into their usable wits. To kill our c3 soldier, they would need 5 wits, right? So if they kill it, they do not have the wits to do the same thing to our j9 soldier - assuming out wit count is correct.

— Begin quote from ‘GreatGonzales’ pid=‘51701’ dateline=‘1370198699’

Consider: instead of warping c3 soldier to e7, warp to d6, so he is in range to retaliate on whatever kills our other c3 soldier.[hr]

— Begin quote from ‘Gavin Wins’ pid=‘51699’ dateline=‘1370198577’

— End quote

The thing is by striking first we are requiring some response from them, which cuts into their usable wits. To kill our c3 soldier, they would need 5 wits, right? So if they kill it, they do not have the wits to do the same thing to our j9 soldier - assuming out wit count is correct.

— End quote

Good point. Then lets go forward with my move exactly as proposed then. If they kill our J5 soldier, we can potentially win the game on our turn with our C3 soldier + mobisniper. It will not be wit efficient for them to kill our c3 soldier in any event with their runner currently blocking their deploy tile.

I want our warped soldier on e7. It needs to be in range of their 2hp runner on i5. This will force them to spend a wit moving the runner or blocking the approach. We need to deprive them of vision.

But presumably they would use their spawned runner plus a sniper to kill the soldier, so the runner would provide a good deal of vision, albeit on the left side.

I am toying with the idea of spawning a runner left and moving it up in anticipation of their spawned sniper. We have an opportunity to keep pressure on their weak side. If we are reasonably sure they will not attack on right… The question is whether we need to spawn something on right to help defend 2 turns from now.[hr]
Hmm, though if we moved up a runner in range of spawn, they would see it and probably warp the sniper away. Another thought - move up the e12 runner to retaliate on their spawned left runner when it kills c3 soldier.

Yea, the sniper would be the most likely way to kill off our soldier, though depending on if they see something that threatens their sniper, they’d probably mobi it away?

We believe that they’ll have 8 wits to start next turn, and will need 5 to take out our soldier. So that’s still 3 wits to do something with, though I wouldn’t think they’d be able to do much to attack us.

Using a sniper to kill our soldier makes sense. That is what they will do, unless we move a runner into position to make them think twice about it. We could save a wit and move our 2hp runner up for that, rather than building a new one.

I think they will build a sniper regardless. If we threaten the sniper with a runner, I don’t see why they wouldn’t warp the sniper to safety. Then next turn they would follow up with a strong counter attack on our right side, using soldiers and mobisniper.

Yes I don’t see a way to deprive them of their sniper, unless we mobi sniper it. Yet I like the idea of maintaining pressure on left…especially since I’m not confident we would be able to stop them if they attacked on right.

What do we think about going with Gavin’s move but also bringing e12 runner to c8 - in range of the runner that kills the soldier, but probably out of vision range.

Do we think they will warp it away anyway once they see they do not need to use their warp for the spawned sniper? If so we will have (mostly) wasted a wit.

— Begin quote from ‘GreatGonzales’ pid=‘51714’ dateline=‘1370213625’

What do we think about going with Gavin’s move but also bringing e12 runner to c8 - in range of the runner that kills the soldier, but probably out of vision range.

— End quote

I think that’s a decent move. They will likely move that runner to D3 won’t see our runner on C8. I anticipate that they’ll fly their I5 runner away, leaving us open to pick off their D3 runner with ours at C8. We would still have 2 wits to build a soldier on the right side.