America v Eurasia Turn 24

Apologies, I have to use my iphone for screen shots right now.

They acted both as we expected, and not quite:

Move mobi to F3 (1)
Warp H5 sniper to E3 (1)
Kill runner at D1 (0)
Spawn heavy at D1 (4)
Move D1 heavy to D3 (1)

I THINK we’ve won. Meta-game ploy worked. Also not clear why they moved mobi to F3 rather than G4…I guess they wanted to get vision of our soldier at B3? But they should have just assumed, knowing our skill level, that we had a soldier at B3. They have allowed us to force a win due to the mobi on F3. This is my proposal:

B3 soldier moves to D2 and kills sniper (1)
Move mobi to B2, B3, or C3 (1)
Spawn sniper (3)
Warp sniper (1)
Kill mobi (0)
Move A3 runner to D1 (1)

They must use heavy to kill the D1 runner. Then, they can kill our sniper, or they can kill our mobi.

If they kill the mobi, we win via soldier and sniper in range of base. If they kill sniper, we win via soldier and warped heavy. Either way we win.

Can anyone see a way for them to stop us?

Initially this looks very good for us. I’ll analyze it later today and share my thoughts.

They possibly have a runner at g4?

— Begin quote from ‘Norahsul’ pid=‘54139’ dateline=‘1372342354’

They possibly have a runner at g4?

— End quote

No, they didn’t have a runner there last turn, and we know they started with 7 wits - they spent all 7. Also I can just tell by looking at the replay. We have 100% knowledge of their unit placements.

Alright, I looked at it a little more, and I don’t see how they can stop a win here. Our positioning is too good.

I’m in favor of moving the mobi to C3 and warping the sniper to C2.

To win on our next turn, it’s important that we can do it with exactly 7 wits, regardless of what they do to try and stop it. Assuming they kill our runner with heavy at E2, move their G6 soldier to F3, and take out our sniper (with say… a sniper sitting on their D1 spawn tile), they will have access to their base blocked off except for 1 hex, E3. Our soldier could then leap onto E2 for 2 base damage (2 wits), and we could build a sniper and get the killing shot off on their base, without moving our mobi, for 5 wits. That’s 7 wits total.

Due to their mobi and sniper being dead, and the positioning of our heavy down south, they can’t squat one of our wit tiles to deprive us of that 7th wit. I think we’ve got this in the bag.

Therefore, I propose this move:

-B3 soldier moves to D2 and kills sniper (1)
-Move mobi to C3 (1)
-Spawn sniper (3)
-Warp sniper to C2 (1)
-Kill mobi (0)
-Move A3 runner to D1 (1)

We’ll have all of our units on top wrapped around their heavy. He can only take 1 action and will be overwhelmed with options.

Ok I think I see a way for them to stop us. They could:

Heavy to E2, kill D1 runner (1)
Spawn sniper at D1 (3)
Kill our sniper (0)
Move G6 soldier to F3 (1)
2 to play with, probably move another soldier back/move sniper to E1

This would mean that there is only one hex adjacent the base that we can strike, and we don’t have the wits to spawn a sniper (we would need 8; we have 7). EDIT: This is not true, we only need 7 assuming mobi does not need to relocate.

But we could still respond with:

Soldier moves to D1, kill sniper
Mobi moves to E4
Warps heavy and hits base

Some interesting options there…may be force a win in 2 turns instead of 1. But they also don’t know we have only 7 wits - they still have 2 wits unaccounted for. So they may make a blunder…still killing the sniper is their best chance I think, they can’t stop us otherwise (I think).[hr]
Also, thank the sweet baby jesus that you guys talked me into boosting that soldier. ;)[hr]

— Begin quote from ‘Gavin Wins’ pid=‘54141’ dateline=‘1372342763’

and we could build a sniper and get the killing shot off on their base, without moving our mobi, for 5 wits. That’s 7 wits total.

— End quote

Oh! You’re right, I was thinking it would take 8 wits…but only 7. Hmm, maybe my above post is invalid then. [hr]

— Begin quote from ‘Gavin Wins’ pid=‘54141’ dateline=‘1372342763’

Therefore, I propose this move:

-B3 soldier moves to D2 and kills sniper (1)
-Move mobi to C3 (1)
-Spawn sniper (3)
-Warp sniper to C2 (1)
-Kill mobi (0)
-Move A3 runner to D1 (1)

— End quote

Anyway this is what I was leaning towards too.

This looks good. Not much to say, really. I think you guys have already figured out the optimal moves.

Agreed. Let’s wait a day for any more input, and unless anything crazy is discussed, let’s send the move off tomorrow.

Looks like warping the runner last turn won us the game. My guess is that they moved the mobi to F3 so that they could get more vision of where our soldier was.

I am still not seeing a way for them to stop us…

Yea, assuming they have no runner hidden somewhere somehow, I can’t see a way for them to win either.

I think we’re all agreed. Go ahead and submit the turn this morning.

Checkmate.

— Begin quote from ‘lawtai’ pid=‘54180’ dateline=‘1372353423’

Looks like warping the runner last turn won us the game. My guess is that they moved the mobi to F3 so that they could get more vision of where our soldier was.

— End quote

To put a finer point on this - yes the meta-game runner ploy was a big factor here, but the bigger factor was their mobi/sniper placement. If they had gone the safer route of mobi on G4, sniper on F3, I am not certain that we could force a win.

I suppose they felt they needed more information to inform their actions, thus placed the mobi/sniper more precariously…but that’s a high price to pay IMO. Anyway it will be interesting when we get to read their deliberations.

Assuming they deliberate in English :wink:

Good job guys. Well played. I was keeping tracks since Turn 22, so I’ll try to participate in the next map from the beginning. You all did a great team work. What’s the next map and when it starts?

As far as I know, nothing has been planned.

But yes, good job everyone! It’s been a fun and enlightening experience.

If you can, paste the replay at the end, please :slight_smile:

They forfeited. Congratulations everyone - this was a great accomplishment. :slight_smile:

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YroLkAww

Can we see their forum now? I want to see what they were thinking