America vs Eurasia Turn 10

— Begin quote from ‘lawtai’ pid=‘48928’ dateline=‘1367454391’

It would’ve cost us a bunch of wits though since we use 4 to make a new medic and boost the soldier.

— End quote

Yeah, I hate spending 4 wits on that, but the soldier has to be boosted and there isnt another way.

But it all depends on my assumptions being correct. We may not want to chance that and scout ourselves instead.

I was looking at ways to take out the 2hp runner on the right side with a boosted sniper, but I’ve decided that’s not worth it.

Well, we’re assuming that they didn’t make a runner on the left side right? If that’s the case, they have no vision of the entire left side, so we could just go unboosted to C3 and hope we get lucky. That would save us the 4 wits and be no worse than if we boost the soldier and they have a runner up there.

If they do have a runner up there already and we send an unboosted soldier up there, would it put us in that much of a hole for them to kill it with a runner/soldier? We would’ve presumably made another soldier and boosted that instead to send towards the left/center.

It’s a bold idea, could be a winner. I’m going to give it more thought. One question is, do we need to make a bold move now? But I think the risk is minimal, even if they are able to block a sniper shot. Would be weird to have two medics on the left side, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

Tough to know what they did, but seems likely to me that they built at least one soldier, maybe two. I might have done boosted soldier to J5, spawn runner left, bank 1 wit. But I dunno. Seems likely they put the heavy on G4 to block/help defend mid. They may have considered the possibility that we would kill the heavy with heavy/mobi/sniper, but I think J5 boosted soldier sufficiently mitigates that risk for them…would be costly for us, so not sure we would do it anyway.

Anyway I will think on it more.

I think a J5 soldier makes a push through the middle very risky.

— Begin quote from ‘GreatGonzales’ pid=‘48938’ dateline=‘1367469924’

It’s a bold idea, could be a winner. I’m going to give it more thought. One question is, do we need to make a bold move now?

— End quote

We don’t need to make a bold move, but I like the idea of carrying the momentum we currently have. I don’t think an attack on the center is sustainable this turn with the threat of a buffed soldier on J5. Thus our advanced heavy needs to be recalled. The soldier on our right side also need to die. So I think one move we need to make for sure is using the heavy to kill the soldier. This solves two problems for the price of 1 wit, leaving us 8 wits to engineer a powerful move.

Also, I submit further evidence of why they moved their heavy to their center wit tile and why they have a buffed soldier on J5:

They moved their 2hp runner off of the wit tile to kill our runner. Why use that runner to kill it? Moving that runner did two things for them- (i) it cleared their center wit tile for their heavy; (ii) it killed our runner on their right side without having to use their spawn tile. This was important because they wanted to use the spawn tile for something else. And if they used that spawn tile, it would only make sense that they took advantage of the medic touching it. A boosted soldier makes the most sense, because a boosted soldier on J5 would be immune to anything our heavy could do to it.

— Begin quote from ‘Gavin Wins’ pid=‘48970’ dateline=‘1367524932’

They moved their 2hp runner off of the wit tile to kill our runner. Why use that runner to kill it? Moving that runner did two things for them- (i) it cleared their center wit tile for their heavy; (ii) it killed our runner on their right side without having to use their spawn tile. This was important because they wanted to use the spawn tile for something else. And if they used that spawn tile, it would only make sense that they took advantage of the medic touching it. A boosted soldier makes the most sense, because a boosted soldier on J5 would be immune to anything our heavy could do to it.

— End quote

Yeah I was thinking the same…this is a great point.

One thought, spawned medic to A5 or B5? B5 is in range of a spawned runner. If we don’t think we will be able to hold that position, we may as well save a future wit and move medic to A5. Though I realize B5 has more utility.[hr]
Generally, I think your assumptions are pretty likely. Especially the heavy being on G4, which is key, and a soldier on J5. Probably boosted soldier. That leaves 1 wit banked…maybe they built a runner on left, but seems to me they would save the wit.

Still, they surprised us last time, albeit a pleasant surprise.

It’s possible they built a runner on the left. And that would mess up this plan. But everything we’ve shown them indicates that we’re attacking on the right or in the center. I feel like they wouldn’t expect an attack on the left and wouldn’t find value in spending their last wit on a runner to have vision on that side.

I expect them to get a runner somewhere into play next turn that will give them vision of our advanced soldier… but if it’s a boosted soldier, they can’t do anything about it. Although, we should analyze how we would respond if they DO have a runner on the left side. They would spend 5 wits killing our boosted soldier almost certainly, leaving them 2 wits to play with. How would we respond to that?

I don’t have an opinion on the medic being on B5 or A5. B5 is certainly more utility, but A5 discourages them advancing an annoying runner on that side.

Again, my “plan” is only a suggestion- one option, and it depends on my assumptions being correct. So there may be better moves out there.

If we assume that they don’t have a runner on the left side, wouldn’t an unboosted soldier moved to C3 work too? With no runner on the left side, they have basically no vision since the heavy is in the center. The only way they can take out our soldier is if they built a sniper or heavy on the left side, with no vision of what’s there. Both seem unlikely with no mobi on the map for them.

If at the beginning of their turn they build a runner, they still can’t stop our soldier.

Granted, a boosted soldier makes them use more wits to kill off our unit if we are unlucky and they do have a runner there though.

What about moving the runner to wit space and see whats 3 spaces away from the heavy. If its a soldier, lets attack it, it it had 4 hp, the they are forced to re buff it again and if it had 3, it dies. Then spawn a sniper to kill the soldier and move it back.

Or since we are 80% sure a soldier is in range of the heavy, lets move it and if theres nothing there, were gonna mobi it back anyway

Gavin I get why you’re hedging, it’s a high risk, high reward move. Actually, it’s medium risk, high reward I would say. But I don’t see a safe way to be aggressive except on the left side, and a boosted soldier is the only way to do this. If we want to use our momentum, I am in favor of your move. Though, I think A5 is better placement for medic than B5, and I think I10 is better placement for heavy than I9 (this way heavy blocks hex adjacent base).

If we want a more conservative move, we could:

Mobi heavy back, kill the soldier
E12 runner to G9 (see that they have heavy on wit space probably, if not re-assess)
Spawn boosted soldier left, move to D7
Bank 3 wits

However, I see this leading to army building for a few turns on both sides, then we clash again, we having less of an advantage than we probably currently have. [hr]

— Begin quote from ‘lawtai’ pid=‘49026’ dateline=‘1367543278’

If we assume that they don’t have a runner on the left side, wouldn’t an unboosted soldier moved to C3 work too? With no runner on the left side, they have basically no vision since the heavy is in the center. The only way they can take out our soldier is if they built a sniper or heavy on the left side, with no vision of what’s there. Both seem unlikely with no mobi on the map for them.

If at the beginning of their turn they build a runner, they still can’t stop our soldier.

Granted, a boosted soldier makes them use more wits to kill off our unit if we are unlucky and they do have a runner there though.

— End quote

Yeah, you’re right in theory. This is a bit of metagame that we should be employing in a game at this high a level…still, I’m not sure it’s worth the risk. If they do have a runner, or anything really, on left spawn, then we’ve lost our ploy. It’s a hard pill to swallow, but this would give us 4 more wits to play with. Not sure what we’d do with them.[hr]
FYI, we should make a move by tomorrow afternoon EST, at which point we will be at 4 days.

I don’t like moving an unboosted soldier on their left side. I feel like they Will move a runner over from the right and get vision on their left side prior to doing anything else. If they see an unboosted soldier, they will certainly snipe it.

I agree with that.

So, how are we feeling folks? Shall we be aggressive and attack, or be conservative and bide our time?

— Begin quote from ‘GreatGonzales’ pid=‘49079’ dateline=‘1367598931’

I agree with that.

So, how are we feeling folks? Shall we be aggressive and attack, or be conservative and bide our time?

— End quote

I like Gavin’s moves. I think aggression is important. Besides, the worst that can happen is we don’t win in a few turns… we don’t automatically lose if this plan falls through.

Ok sounds good then.

We are at 4 days now.

I intend to make the following move:

Warp heavy to I10
Kill soldier
Spawn medic on left
Move spawned medic to A5
Boost A4 soldier
Move A4 soldier to C3 (depending on what I see at this point, I will either continue, or send new screen shot for update)
Move mobi to E8
End turn, banking 2 wits

Please confirm

Looks good. Better to make sure the move gets in before we time out.

Ok bad news.

We need to adjust our plans quickly.[hr]
So, if they have a runner on G4, our mobi is at risk. They can bring in L5 and G4 runners to kill our 2 hp mobi. We therefore need to take some action to protect the mobi. I think our best option may be to merely move the E12 runner to G9, and end turn, banking 2 wits. [hr]
Or, we could move our mobi to E8 as planned.

Yes, I was thinking E12 runner to G9 and bank 2 wits. This would also tell us if they have a boosted soldier at J5.

Others?

Problem with E12 runner on G9 is that they may have enough wits to build mobi, kill runner, warp back. But eh.

Would our Mobi be safe for sure on E8? Seems to me the only way it would be in danger there is if they spawned a runner on each spawn and moved them both to the center (G4, H3, H4, I5, etc.). But given the state of the board and their perfect knowledge of our units, I wouldn’t expect them to do this. It would be a weak move, no?

The alternative is using the two extra wits to move medic and boost E12 runner before moving it, but I don’t like the idea because it moves the medic away from the spawn and probably isn’t a good use of those wits. I’d rather save them.