Ave Game 2 Turn 9

— Begin quote from ‘jesusfuentesh’ pid=‘57484’ dateline=‘1375552880’

Notes:

• I won
  • At the end I realized putting the medic on E8 was unnecessary.
  • We might consider leaving the 1hp soldier on C6 and putting hp runner on D6

— End quote

Medic on E8 was to handle the case of them attacking the 2hp runner. We could scramble that unit, heal it and put it back on the spawn. This would allow us to ignore both heavies after killing the scrambler.

I think runner in front of the scrambler is necessary. If they scramble our heavy first, they will infer nothing or the soldier is in front of our scrambler. Then, they’ll spawn another scrambler, convert the soldier and kill our scrambler. I think they have enough wits for that.

— Begin quote from ‘Thrutchy’ pid=‘57491’ dateline=‘1375555767’

— Begin quote from ‘jesusfuentesh’ pid=‘57484’ dateline=‘1375552880’

Notes:

• I won
  • At the end I realized putting the medic on E8 was unnecessary.
  • We might consider leaving the 1hp soldier on C6 and putting hp runner on D6

— End quote

Medic on E8 was to handle the case of them attacking the 2hp. We could scramble that unit, heal it and put it back on the spawn. This would allow us to ignore both heavies after killing the scrambler.

I think runner in front of the scrambler is necessary. If they scramble our heavy first, they will infer nothing or the soldier is in front of our scrambler. Then, they’ll spawn another scrambler, convert the soldier and kill our scrambler. I think they have enough wits for that.

— End quote

Ah, yeah. You’re right. They would have 11 wits on that turn.

Ok, I’m a bit late to the game, this is the first turn I’ve participated in. I ran through some scenarios and from the perspective of Eurasia, they may equally suspect a scrambler at either f8 or j3.

Playing from that perspective, I think they may put a boosted scrambler at h7 and protect it from a possible scrambled heavy with a medic at g7. The defense seems quite robust, I think it will hold from our position.

Other defenses do seem like we are in a very good position. If we want to attack, it will be best to lead with that runner.

Attacking with runner first may give us the information we need to proceed uninhibited. Definitely tempting… But, in the event that they have a soldier back there, we would need to be In full retreat I think if we want to have a chance to survive.

If we are seriously considering retreat, let’s get specific with what that would look like. It is possible that they have a scrambler back there, possibly in range of one of our units (either the runner or soldier). The heavy is also in range of the 3 hp soldier, so that’s a risk. We could just go in full reverse…ensure that nothing is in range of a possible scrambler. But then, where do we go from there? The potential danger of the hidden scrambler will endure and their range of influence will be even greater.

One interesting option is to spawn a second scrambler. Something I have been toying with…but there are so few places where it can be truly safe unless we go in full retreat. And if they have 2 soldiers on left, that means our 2 hp scrambler is in danger too.

Uuuuugh I am so stressed out about this turn.

For a possible retreat: Unless these games have been filled with high-risk gambles, I would seriously doubt that a scrambler is within range of anything on this turn. I would be more concerned about a possible snowball effect due to losing a spawn if the runner doesn’t find anything to its liking.

What is more interesting to me is that they moved the heavy and not the soldier to the wit space. I feel like my instinct would be to move the soldier, leaving nothing in range of our heavy and still have a safe scrambler at d3. I think that would have been their move to spawn a defensive scrambler, they probably did not. I think I’ve fallen into the soldier at B5 camp.

Soldier at B5 gives them a very nice position, they have so many extra wits ( I haven’t run it ) but they could very well be planning to take our wit space even if the attack comes from J3.

If we don’t attack, we will have to move the scrambler. Probably best to H7, but so boring. BTW, why is our scrambler there rather than j3? Is this the planned assault?

So I think we need to decide if we want to attack or defend? If we pick attack though, it might turn to defend though I think that would definitely put us at a disadvantage.

Here is the best I could come up with for a boosted soldier at B5:

If they scramble our scrambler, the only thing their new scrambler can do is convert our medic. Their soldier can’t attack anything on that side. Then the heavy can kill our soldier, but that is it. If they spawn a regular unit instead, they’ll be able to kill one more of our units.

This isn’t the best situation, but I don’t think it is an immediate loss.

— Begin quote from ‘Thrutchy’ pid=‘57500’ dateline=‘1375561627’

If they scramble our scrambler, the only thing their new scrambler can do is convert our medic. Their soldier can’t attack anything on that side. Then the heavy can kill our soldier, but that is it. If they spawn a regular unit instead, they’ll be able to kill one more of our units.

— End quote

I’m not quite sure how many wits they have, but from my testing I think it’s enough to leave us with a 3 hp soldier and a 2 hp runner, but leaves them with (2) 5 hp heavies, a 3 hp soldier and a scrambler for 12 wit. We should be able to take out their scrambler, but the cost would be devastating. We’d probably lose the wit space on the next turn and gg 2 or three turns later

They’ll have 16 wits. You are probably right. This position just makes it not as beneficial for them to scramble our scrambler and kill it instead. One tweak to this would be to heal the scrambled soldier instead of move the other one. This should allow us to keep 2 soldiers instead of a soldier and a useless runner (wedged between their units).

If they really do have 16 wits banked, they should be unit-weak. I’d like to think there is some way to safely break this. Is there any way we can force their units up toward the back alley?

They must have put a soldier at b5? I guess the other way we should think about it is whether that is also a good defense against a J3 scrambler unless they figured out our position somehow.

I think the only safe move is to sit back for a turn. Maybe spawn a runner to G6 or a Soldier to G5 for vision/position, move the scrambler to a slightly safer position and save some more wits.

What is our endgame? are we playing reactionary or is there a long-term plan?

Well, long term plan if there isn’t a b5 soldier is I think we just overwhelm and win. Hard to plan without knowing what they have.

We’ve been looking towards a scrambling attack of the soldier since we spawned the scrambler in turn 5. We would have attack options in turn 7 if they would have spawned something else (sniper or scrambler). Turn 7 was a setup for the attack we are considering right now. Looking back, the main thing I wish we would have done is spawn a runner in turn 5 (without moving it) and scrambler in turn 7 (we did the reverse). Then they would not know what direction we might have moved a possible scrambler (they can infer now). Moving up the heavy or soldier sooner would have also accomplished that vision blocking. But, those changes might have changed what they played, so you never know.

— Begin quote from ‘Thrutchy’ pid=‘57507’ dateline=‘1375567216’

We’ve been looking towards a scrambling attack of the soldier since we spawned the scrambler in turn 5. We would have attack options in turn 7 if they would have spawned something else (sniper or scrambler). Turn 7 was a setup for the attack we are considering right now. Looking back, the main thing I wish we would have done is spawn a runner in turn 5 (without moving it) and scrambler in turn 7 (we did the reverse). Then they would not know what direction we might have moved a possible scrambler (they can infer now). Moving up the heavy or soldier sooner would have also accomplished that vision blocking. But, those changes might have changed what they played, so you never know.

— End quote

Ok, cool. My general goal on glitch is to make a play at the wit space, so I don’t want to be counterproductive.

Should we prepare to sac a runner and at worst, assume a defensive position? They shouldn’t be able to apply too much pressure for at least a couple turns. This may be the best opportunity to force a win, since they have such a large number of wits banked. Probably more than they can actually lose.

— Begin quote from ‘Syvan’ pid=‘57498’ dateline=‘1375560705’

BTW, why is our scrambler there rather than j3? Is this the planned assault?

— End quote

Their (now killed) runner would’ve seen it

— End quote

If they scramble the medic, they could take over our spawn, is that a problem for the plan?

— End quote

Thrutchy, if this is our best defensive bet assuming we attack and there is a soldier at b5, note that you have used a runner to kill the heavy. So, why not do his now instead of later so we can benefit from gained vision?

— Begin quote from ‘TheGoldenGriffin’ pid=‘57510’ dateline=‘1375569500’

— Begin quote from ‘Syvan’ pid=‘57498’ dateline=‘1375560705’

BTW, why is our scrambler there rather than j3? Is this the planned assault?

— End quote

Their (now killed) runner would’ve seen it

— End quote

Edit: ignore: I thought the soldier had moved sooner. :fluffy:
Obviously the turn is over, but I think I’m missing something mechanically. I don’t see how that runner can see around the corner. Vision should stop at k2?

In any case, we should play out a couple of those games after thrutchy’s all-out assault to see how they go. The medic could also step on the spawn, which might also make continuing the attack uncomfortable

I say we dig in and gopher it.[hr]
I think the main thing is the first move, scramble or don’t? And I say ^^

Please everyone let me know what you think we should do. I will be making an executive decision if we cannot reach consensus tonight.[hr]
Well. I suppose we only need to come to consensus IF the consensus is that we should scramble. But in any case we don’t have much time left - will be at 4 days in about 18 hours.

He edited to tell you to ignore that^^

I still say we go for it. I think we should start with scrambling. For no boosted soldier there, we continue our attack and adapt based on what we find. If we see a boosted soldier there, we could try one of these:

• spawn another scrambler - and have another wit left over. We could put it at h7 (not in vision of our heavy) or retreat something. If they scramble too far, we can have a nice chain reaction back.
  • retreat minimally and spawn just a soldier. Save enough wits so that we can spawn a scrambler and do damage like above.
  • kill the other soldier with heavy and our current runner. Move the scrambled soldier next to the heavy to block a scrambling chain and allow that soldier to kill their first scrambler if the attempt that. Probably spawn a soldier.