Beans Dilemma (Winner Announced!)

Update: The game ended at the end of Round Four. Here is a link to the post announcing the final results.

[size=16]:fireworks: Congratulations to amoffett11 for being the overall winner! :fireworks:[/size]

[size=24]Final Score:[/size]

Red Team: 3
Blue Team: 1

Here’s a link to the post announcing the beginning of Round One.
Here’s a link to the post announcing the results of Round One.
Here’s a link to the post announcing the results of Round Two.
Here’s a link to the post announcing the results of Round Three.

[size=24]Teams and Final Remaining Bean Counts:[/size]

Red Team: (receive fifteen beans each)

• amoffett11 (3)
  • Doodat (0)
  • LegacyofEight (1)
  • spccsc (0)

Blue Team: (receive twenty beans each)

• Apple (8)
  • Frosty (9)
  • Flarp55 (13)

Quick bullet points of the rules:

• Once a round you may send me a PM telling me that you want to deposit any number of your beans into a slot. The beans are lost forever.
  • If you do not send me a PM during the allotted time, I will assume you are depositing zero of your beans.
  • The team that uses more beans in a round receives a point.
  • At the end of each round, I will reveal which team got a point and the number of beans used by the team that used fewer beans.
  • If both teams use the same number of beans, no one receives a point for that round, and I will not reveal how many beans were used.
  • Once a team receives three points, the game ends, and the winner is the player on the winning team with the most beans remaining.
  • If two or more players on the winning team are tied for most beans left, then they are joint winners.

[size=24]IMPORTANT:[/size] When you submit your PM to give me your desired bean usage, it is absolutely final. No exceptions. I will not entertain any sort of “whoops, I sent you the wrong number” messages. Imagine that what you’re doing is privately entering a room and depositing your beans into a slot. You can’t get them back, even if you say “oh no, I didn’t mean to put that bean in there.” It’s gone. Sorry. In addition to this, if you tell me a number that is greater than the number of beans you have left, I will interpret this to mean that you’re using the rest of your beans. Again, I will not accept correction messages. Your beans will not be returned to you. Only PMs sent just to me (i.e. not including anyone else in the recipient list) will count as official bean usage PMs.

If everyone submits their PM prior to the end of the round, I’ll announce the results of the round early (whenever it is that I see that all PMs are submitted) and begin the next round right away.

Original text of this post:

Hi.

This is a simple social game I saw on a Korean game show that I thought might be fun to play on the forums. Here are the rules:

There are two teams of equal size, the red team and the white blue team. Each player receives ten beans. The game is played over a series of rounds. In each round, the teams are given a fixed amount of time to discuss their strategies, and then each player privately places any number of their beans into a container. After all players have taken their turns, it is revealed which team collectively placed more beans in the container. The team that placed more beans in the container wins the round and receives a point, but it is only revealed how many beans were used by the team that lost the round (so it is not revealed how many beans were used by the team that won the round). It is also not revealed how many beans each player used, only the team’s total used beans. If both teams use the same number of beans, no one receives a point, and the number of beans used is not revealed.

Once a team receives three points or all beans have been used up, the game ends. The team with more points is the winning team, and the player on the winning team with the most beans remaining is the winner. So you see, it’s important to use more beans than the other team to win rounds but use fewer beans than your teammates to win the game. If multiple players are tied for the most beans left, then they are joint winners.

The way this would be played is that each team would create a group conversation to discuss their strategy, and then at some point during the time for that round, each player would send me a PM to tell me how many beans they want to use. If a player sends me no PM and the time for the round expires I will assume that player is using no beans. And then once all players have submitted their PMs or the time expires, I will reveal the outcome of the round and the next round will start.

Is anyone interested in playing this? If so, how much time is good for a round? One day? Two days? Opinions?

EDIT: There’ll be a prize for the winner! :open_mouth: If you win the game, you will be allowed to give me a topic, and I’ll write a piece of music based on it and dedicate it to you! Who could pass up such an opportunity!?

Note that whatever topic you suggest, it’ll probably always end up being some kinda artsy electronic tone poem, but who knows? :smile:

Probing for Interest: Forum Game Tournament

I’ll play. A day should probably be best

I’ll play too. I think two days would be better.

My concern with the time frame for a round is that not everyone will necessarily visit the forums every single day and could therefore miss an entire round.

I’ll play too, sounds interesting

Count me in if you need another player!

Probably around six to eight people would be good.

So that’s four five seven already:

• Doodat
  • Apple
  • Frosty
  • spccsc
  • LegacyofEight
  • Flarp55
  • amoffett11

Anyone else?

Meeeeee

me too

I will play.

I’ll accept one more and then we’ll start. We’ll just try it with a two day round limit unless you all vote for a one day limit instead.

Need one more player. As an incentive, I’ll add a prize! :open_mouth:

If you win the game, you will be allowed to give me a topic, and I’ll write a piece of music based on it and dedicate it to you! Who could pass up such an opportunity!?

Note that whatever topic you suggest, it’ll probably always end up being some kinda artsy electronic tone poem, but who knows? :smile:

Please?

Sending this to my irl friends

I wouldn’t mind being on both teams :wink: double my chance of winning!

Um…I have an alter ego…her name is Mahgien (pronounced like Megan) and she could be on the other team…um…yeah…

Why are you guys talking about putting alter egos on the other team? If I had an alter ego, I would put it on the same team for sure.

I’m inclined to say that it’ll be four vs three and the four get fifteen beans each while the three get twenty each.

Yeah, Round One starts now. Teams were generated randomly.

Red Team:

• amoffett11
  • Doodat
  • LegacyofEight
  • spccsc

Blue Team:

• Apple
  • Frosty
  • Flarp55

Each member of the Red Team has fifteen beans. Each member of the Blue Team has twenty beans. You will have until the very first moment of April 16 PDT to PM me your desired number of beans to put in the bean container. But you can use the time between now and then to discuss what you want to do.

Quick bullet points of the rules:

• Once a round you may send me a PM telling me that you want to deposit any number of your beans into a slot. The beans are lost forever.
  • If you do not send me a PM during the allotted time, I will assume you are depositing zero of your beans.
  • The team that uses more beans in a round receives a point.
  • At the end of each round, I will reveal which team got a point and the number of beans used by the team that used fewer beans.
  • If both teams use the same number of beans, no one receives a point for that round, and I will not reveal how many beans were used.
  • Once a team receives three points, the game ends, and the winner is the player on the winning team with the most beans remaining.
  • If two or more players on the winning team are tied for most beans left, then they are joint winners.

Countdown to the end of Round One

I’m giving you two full days plus the remainder of today (using my time zone) for Round One (this is to ensure everyone has ample time to ramp up to playing the game). In future rounds, you will be allotted exactly two days to make your decisions.

[size=24]IMPORTANT:[/size] When you submit your PM to give me your desired bean usage, it is absolutely final. No exceptions. I will not entertain any sort of “whoops, I sent you the wrong number” messages. Imagine that what you’re doing is privately entering a room and depositing your beans into a slot. You can’t get them back, even if you say “oh no, I didn’t mean to put that bean in there.” It’s gone. Sorry. In addition to this, if you tell me a number that is greater than the number of beans you have left, I will interpret this to mean that you’re using the rest of your beans. Again, I will not accept correction messages. Your beans will not be returned to you. Only PMs sent just to me (i.e. not including anyone else in the recipient list) will count as official bean usage PMs.

If everyone submits their PM prior to the end of the round, I’ll announce the results of the round early (whenever it is that I see that all PMs are submitted) and begin the next round right away.

Go!

Just a point of clarification: the winner is the player with the most beans on the winning team, isn’t it? So you have to be on the team with three points