New Forums Survival Guide

For those that are long time readers/posters on our old forums might feel a bit uneasy about the change to discourse. Heading to that previous link will give you a quick run down of the nice features we can now use! But with anything new, there is a bit of a learning curve. This thread is meant to be a quick guide for that transition. Ask any questions or suggestions for how-tos and I’ll update this main post so future forum goers can make the transition easier!

##Bye Bye Pages!
There isn’t any pagination in discourse. You want to read more? Keep scrolling. Want to get back to the top? Hit the home button/tap top of the browser/ or click the green progress bar for more direct navigation options:

##Where are the sub-forums?
They are called ‘categories’ now. In general, our community is small enough that segregating between games isn’t really inclusive and engaging. While organization is still important, the default view simply shows the latest activity in any category you have permission to see. Want to only see Outwitters posts? Simply choose ‘Outwitters’ from the category drop down:

…aaahh strategy bliss.

##How do I Quote/Reply Directly?
You’ve got several options here.

1. To reply to a specific post, just hit the reply button on that post. The threading between them will be surfaced unless they are just immediately below each other.

2. What if you want to reply to a specific piece of text in a post? Highlight that piece of text and click “quote reply”:

3. What if you want to reply to the entire piece of text and embed it into your post? Hit the speech bubble in the editor toolbar like so:

4. If you want to call out a specific user but not any text directly just use the ‘@’ signage like @onealexleft. This gives the benefit of linking to their profile as well as giving that user a notification that they’ve been mentioned in a thread and can check it out.

##Embedding
Discourse has nice embedding features. Gone are the days of chasing down an image host to upload a screen capture or share a video. Paste it directly into your reply window and it’ll upload to our forum. If it’s a link, depending on the service you are linking, it’ll attempt to embed an excerpt of that page or the video directly into your post like so:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tilt-to-live-gauntlets-revenge/id888853779?mt=8

Also, due to the value @Harti’s outwitters replay link plugin brought to the previous forum I took the time to make it work on this forum as well. If you place a replay link on it’s own line, it’ll be replaced with a pretty link.

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAreSevQkM will turn into this:
outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAreSevQkM
##Formatting?!
BBCode still works, but Markdown is now available as well. A quick rundown of BBCode vs Markdown:

Bolding
Markdown: **bolding**
BBcode: [b]bolding[/b]

Italics
Markdown *italics* or _italics_
BBCode: [i]italics[/i]

Strike Through
BBCode: [s]test[/s] = test

Colors (BBCode only)
red = [color=red]red[/color]
red = [color=#FF0000]red[/color]

Spoilers

this is secret! = [spoiler] this is secret![/spoiler]. Click on blurry text to reveal.

Headers/Font Size
#Header1
#Header1

##Header2
##Header2
Header 3 and so on is just more ‘#’ symbols.

Alignment

I'm at the center of the universe
`
Centered
`

##The End…Or Beginning?
That covers it for now. I still haven’t covered a large portion of the awesome features discourse offers us, but over time you should hopefully discover them and learn to use them.

Formatting?

How do you change font size without making it a header?
@oneadamleft @onealexleft

you can’t. but you get a pretty big range via the header method:
#Hi
##Hi
###Hi
####Hi
#####Hi
######Hi

But what if I don’t want my text automatically bolded?

#GET OVER IT#

#####…jk#####

The following seems to work:

[size=#]text[/size]

[size=4]Testing (4)[/size]
[size=5]Testing (5)[/size]
[size=6]Testing (6)[/size]
[size=7]Testing (7)[/size]
[size=8]Testing (8)[/size]
[size=9]Testing (9)[/size]
[size=10]Testing (10)[/size]
[size=11]Testing (11)[/size]
[size=12]Testing (12)[/size]
[size=13]Testing (13)[/size]
[size=14]Testing (14)[/size]
[size=15]Testing (15)[/size]
[size=16]Testing (16)[/size]
[size=17]Testing (17)[/size]
[size=18]Testing (18)[/size]
[size=19]Testing (19)[/size]
[size=20]Testing (20)[/size]
[size=21]Testing (21)[/size]
[size=22]Testing (22)[/size]
[size=23]Testing (23)[/size]
[size=24]Testing (24)[/size]
[size=25]Testing (25)[/size]
[size=26]Testing (26)[/size]
[size=27]Testing (27)[/size]
[size=28]Testing (28)[/size]
[size=29]Testing (29)[/size]
[size=30]Testing (30)[/size]
[size=31]Testing (31)[/size]
[size=32]Testing (32)[/size]
[size=33]Testing (33)[/size]
[size=34]Testing (34)[/size]
[size=35]Testing (35)[/size]
[size=36]Testing (36)[/size]
[size=37]Testing (37)[/size]
[size=38]Testing (38)[/size]
[size=39]Testing (39)[/size]
[size=40]Testing (40)[/size]

Bolded versions for comparison:

[size=4]Testing (4)[/size]
[size=5]Testing (5)[/size]
[size=6]Testing (6)[/size]
[size=7]Testing (7)[/size]
[size=8]Testing (8)[/size]
[size=9]Testing (9)[/size]
[size=10]Testing (10)[/size]
[size=11]Testing (11)[/size]
[size=12]Testing (12)[/size]
[size=13]Testing (13)[/size]
[size=14]Testing (14)[/size]
[size=15]Testing (15)[/size]
[size=16]Testing (16)[/size]
[size=17]Testing (17)[/size]
[size=18]Testing (18)[/size]
[size=19]Testing (19)[/size]
[size=20]Testing (20)[/size]
[size=21]Testing (21)[/size]
[size=22]Testing (22)[/size]
[size=23]Testing (23)[/size]
[size=24]Testing (24)[/size]
[size=25]Testing (25)[/size]
[size=26]Testing (26)[/size]
[size=27]Testing (27)[/size]
[size=28]Testing (28)[/size]
[size=29]Testing (29)[/size]
[size=30]Testing (30)[/size]
[size=31]Testing (31)[/size]
[size=32]Testing (32)[/size]
[size=33]Testing (33)[/size]
[size=34]Testing (34)[/size]
[size=35]Testing (35)[/size]
[size=36]Testing (36)[/size]
[size=37]Testing (37)[/size]
[size=38]Testing (38)[/size]
[size=39]Testing (39)[/size]
[size=40]Testing (40)[/size]

I really like the ‘tagging’ feature (@Memories for example). While I am still getting use to the new forums, this feature makes me like it more than I would otherwise :slight_smile:

Why does the Poppcock category tag not show up like the Outwitters / Tournaments / Clan tags do?

it’s considered the ‘general’ forum topic. So when you create a new topic, it defaults to that. You can still view all of those posts in a category like anything else though.

Can we not have a Poppycock separate from general?

I like seeing the category next to the names, so I can decide if it’s click-worthy or not off the title (I know, I know, don’t judge a book by its cover…) But, typically I don’t click a lot of Poppycock threads. Having it blend in with General is a bit misleading.

edit: Er, I though general was its own category. What you’re saying is that Poppycock is the general category. I see. I guess that’s okay. I’d still like to see the tag though.

The ‘general’ you see currently is a old over from the old forums when there was the US vs Euro outwitters match. I haven’t come up with a good solution on cleaning that up yet.

Ah, yeah, I see that now. I suppose what I am suggesting is to have every thread’s tag to show up on the main page, so that each thread says “Outwitters”, “Poppycock”, “Meta”, etc, next to the title. Maybe it’s just personal preference, so no pressure - I was just curious if it was working as intended. :smile:

Is there any chance we can get edit restrictions reduced/removed? I am trying to edit a post and I’m being told it’s too similar to what I previously posted and it won’t let me do it.

To be specific, I posted something, then I edited and added a line. Now I changed my mind and I want to remove the new line but discourse is saying no.

Edit: wait, now it let me do it. Weird.

If it says it’s too similar, just add a space or two at the end.