Originally published at: http://onemanleft.com/2017/10/unspawn/

Among the last particle effects I needed to complete for Hex Gambit’s Early Access release, Abbacus’s captain’s power lets you return any enemy unit you don’t like back to their spawn pool. It’ll cost a few precious turns to respawn and reposition them, and they’ll return to the board in the same condition as they left.

Yesterday was day one of our captains’ voiceover sessions! We’re recording the six Early Access captains we showed off during Kickstarter, plus some extra voices for future captains we may add after launch next year. We had a lot of great auditions and too many talented people to choose from. We can’t wait to show off the results!

Check back weekly for more progress on our upcoming turn-based strategy game, Hex Gambit. If you haven’t already, be sure to sign up for our mailing list to get email reminders when we hit big milestones, like the launch of our beta this year and the official release in 2018.

As this September update mentioned scheduling said voice recording sessions, I feel like now would be a decent time to let the backers know these voices have been recorded :slight_smile:

I’m really hyped to see it all come together in the weekly updates, can’t wait to see the final software!

But can they beat the voice acting of Baron Brimstone? :ok_hand:

No one can defeat Baron Brimstone.

He was actually voiced by our composer, Mike Reagan, who is returning for Hex Gambit as the voice of Abbacus. He also does all of our minions grunts and oofs (even the Adorables medic!).

I was thinking maybe when we have some of the mastered vocals/music to show, or when we have a more concrete release date to announce. I’ve been trying to only push big updates to backers, so they don’t get Hex Gambit fatigue. We have so much stuff that’s 90% ready to show off/announce, and everything is coming together so last minute… by the time it’s all ready to show off, the game will be out, I guess. I’ll take a look at the feed and see if it’s time for an update. Thanks for keeping me on top of it.

Wait that’s awesome. Do you have a video of this?

Unfortunately not, but he has some software filters that let him shift the pitch of his voice. If I’m remembering correctly, he did every character in Outwitters.

Wow thats great! Eagerly awaiting the official release date!

Was just reading up on Hex Gambit a little, and re-read this from about a month ago:

So one of the tiny things Outwitters/SFT fans may pick up on when playing Hex Gambit for the first time is if you leave your game mid-turn, you won’t have to redo your turn from the beginning. Why? In Outwitters and Space Food Truck, entire turns were sent to the server. In Hex Gambit, each action a player takes will be sent instead. This does complicate a few implementation details, but this approach leads into another minor detail that Outwitters fans will appreciate that I’ll go into next time.

I’m curious if I missed it in a later blog, but what does sending individual actions to the server allow that us Outwitters fans will appreciate?

(I’m just trying to milk as much info out of you guys as possible…)

well, it means that there’s no longer any cheating bug (though that wouldn’t matter anyway since there’s no fog of war)

/me is patiently waiting for Hex Gambit Early Access…

you guys should check out the subreddit! r/hexgambit

patiently waiting intensifies

I’m hoping to get a write up (part 2) done soon™.

I remember reading something about you being able to redo your whole turn like in Hero Academy. That is, no further OMC unit drawing board required. :slight_smile: